August 19, 2021

Artifact #85: Letter from Soapy Smith's cousin Edwin to Soapy's son Jefferson, February 25, 1937

Artifact #85
Letter-page 1
Jeff Smith collection

(Click image to enlarge)


 

   
 
 still think we could do well with the projected biography"
(Edwin was working on a biography of Soapy Smith)



An interesting letter from Edwin Benson "Bobo" Smith, the cousin of Soapy Smith, to Soapy's son, Jefferson Randolph Smith III. Those that have read the book Alias Soapy Smith: The Life and Death of a Scoundrel might recall that Edwin and Soapy grew up together in Georgia, traveled the state hunting, and started working the cheap John (jam auction) sales racket in Texas together. Edwin was ready to join his cousin full time but credits witnessing the shootout between the outlaw Sam Bass gang and Texas Rangers, resulting in the death of Sam Bass, with his choosing not to follow Soapy's career path.
     When reading the transcription of the letter below keep in mind that it was written February 25, 1937, so Edwin is 78 years old and Jefferson is 49. Edwin and Jefferson wrote to one another since Jefferson was young, wishing to learn as much as he could about his father. Who better to ask than a family member who grew up with his father?

Artifact #85
Envelope-front
Jeff Smith collection

(Click image to enlarge) 
 
     The above envelope is part of the Fort Sumter Hotel stationary. Note that the stamp is upside down. Was this intentional or an oversight? Perhaps a sign that Edwin's eyesight was not as it once was? Also note that the address for "Mr. Jeff Smith" is listed as "City Hall." Jefferson was very involved in St. Louis politics, choosing to work behind the scenes. One of his fears was that his political rivals would find out that his father was the infamous crime figure "Soapy" Smith, thus ending his political career. He was very cautious that anyone would find out about his father, even going to the effort of hiding his father's large collection of letters and documents behind a false wall in the family basement.

Artifact #85
Envelope-rear
Jeff Smith collection

(Click image to enlarge)
 
     The hand-written letter and envelope is in my personal collection (item #85). Following is the transcription for ease of reading.

1201 M St. nw [M Street, northwest]
Washington D.C.

Feb 25, 1937

      Dear Jeff: From the porch of the Hotel you can see Fort Sumter where all the trouble began between the North and the South; Charleston is really a most interesting old town and quaint beyond description. I stayed there awhile after leaving Savannah.
     Wherever I go I get myself interviewed as you will see by clipping – Native modesty, eh? Needless to say I interview myself.
     Now I am back home I feel improved after my sojourn down the line but am pretty shaky yet! It would have been fine had I been able to prolong the stay in that soft climate.
     By this time I trust you have caught on to something worth while. Outside of government employment Washington affords scant hope and even Uncle Sam is a poor prospect unless there is some big influence back of an applicant.
     The situation here is confusing but it seems to me that Roosevelt is destined to slip; he made a bonehead play in his Supreme Court proposal, regardless of any good intent.
     I still think we could do well with the projected biography [Edwin was working on a biography of Soapy], yet am assailed with fears as to my strength not being up to the mark, I truthfully can not dictate, never could.
     Just as soon as I can get up the nerve to tackle the job I’ll let you know. Meanwhile write me fully. My best love to you and your wife and it would be a great pleasure to see her.
     When in Ga. [Georgia] I thought of going to the old home town but that section has just about as bad winters as Washington or St. Louis and I was dodging the cold.

Write soon
E. B. Smith
 
Artifact #85
Letter-page 2
Jeff Smith collection

 (Click image to enlarge)
 
 
 
Artifact #85
Letter-page 3
Jeff Smith collection

 (Click image to enlarge)
 
 
     Edwin B. Smith passed away just over three years later on November 1, 1941, never publishing his biography on Soapy, titled Boyhood Days of Jefferson Randolph Smith II and Edwin Bobo Smith, which resides in my personal collection. Edwin's writings are the best accounts of Soapy as a youth and young man, and were used extensively in telling the story of Soapy in the early days.

* Special thanks to my publisher, Alaskan historian, and longtime friend, Art Petersen of Klondike Research for his help in deciphering the handwriting of 78 year old Edwin Smith.











Edwin Benson "Bobo" Smith:
 
Jefferson Randolph Smith III
May 04, 2021  










Edwin Benson "Bobo" Smith: pages, 20, 22-30, 32, 35-36, 333, 425, 428, 444-49, 589.
Jefferson Randolph Smith III: pages, 7, 107-08,167, 417-18, 546, 584, 587-89.




"Every crowd has a silver lining"
—P. T. Barnum









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith