March 9, 2021

Artifact #78: Purchasing Soapy Smith books for his son in 1919

"Years ago when the above named
Smith was operating in Skagway"

Artifact #78
Jeff Smith collection

(Click image to enlarge)



 
 
ears ago when the above named Smith was operating in Skagway I had the pleasure of being one of the adventurers to pass through that city."


Those of who are related to bad men (or women) know that occasionally we run up against someone who tells us that it's wrong to "glorify" an outlaw, and how we should be ashamed to be related to said desperado. In my case, I remind the person accuser that it's been 123 years since Soapy victimized anyone, and that I use his history to educate the gullible to keep from being victimized. 
 
Imagine how rough it must have been like to be a descendant after only a decade or two has passed? This post hits upon that very issue. My granduncle, John Denzer Reitz, typed out a letter for my grandfather, Jefferson Randolph Smith III (Soapy's son), so that he could obtain a "booklet" published in Skagway about his father, Jefferson Randolph Smith II (Soapy). It had only been 21 years since the death of of father via the shootout on Juneau Wharf, and he didn't want "Skagway" to refuse his request based on animosity that remained in the residents of Skagway. The booklet is likely The Soapy Smith Tragedy by Shea & Patten, first published in 1907 by the Daily Alaskan Print. The Daily Alaskan newspaper reported and published the story on Soapy's death in July 1898. The reprinting of the Soapy Smith Tragedy lasted for an unknown number of years, and original printings fetch $200-$400. Click HERE to see the entire booklet. 
 
The Soapy Smith Tragedy
by Shea & Patten
1907
 
Jefferson's sons, including my father, John Randolph Smith, had to do the same during their lives, as there were still living victims of Soapy and the Soap Gang who showed hostility towards the Smith family. I remember the first time I traveled to Skagway, Alaska with my father and mother. It was 1977 and I was 19 years old. I remember my father booking our trip under a fake last name, just in case Skagway still held resentment towards our family. But those old days were long passed. Once Skagway found out who we were, we were welcomed with open arms. But in 1919 that old bad blood was still alive, thus young Jefferson getting his brother-in-law, John D. Reitz, to type up the request, though it seems more likely that Jefferson typed up the letter. with John's permission. The signature may be Jeff's or John's.




"The best bet you get is an even break."
—Franklin Pierce Adams








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith