February 5, 2021

Artifact #72: Soapy Smith's son, Jefferson, writes a letter to his mother

Artifact #72
Jeff Smith collection

(Click image to enlarge)








ome without mother"
a letter to Mary Smith, from her son.



 

     Artifact #72 is a typed letter from the eldest son of Soapy and Mary, to Mary. Jefferson was born on February 8, 1888, so he had just turned 18 years old at the time of typing this letter. The year is 1906 and typewriters had no correction abilities, nor were any invented yet. There are numerous mistakes, misspelled words and grammar errors, and Jeff chose not to retype it. The grammar mistakes are interesting, considering Jeff later worked for several St. Louis-area newspapers, and eventually became managing editor at The St. Louis Times and served as secretary of the Saint Louis County Chamber of Commerce (1926-1931).

St Louis, March 1 '06.
Mrs. Mary. E. Little.
2823 Laurence, St.
Denver, Colo.

      My dear Mother:-Two long weeks have passed and now comes a third, since you have been out in the wild and woolly West seeking consolation in the shadows of the Rockys[sic].
     I will not make this letter as sad and sorryful[sic] as the one which compelled you to send me, the handsome amount of $100.00 all in one note and without having Uncle Sammy put a registered stamp on it.
     Well, heres[sic] a little news. It snowed, then snowed, and then blowed and blewed, in St Louis a few days ago and what a time I had cleaning it off the pavement in front of the house. There it was piled 10 feet high, without a sign of a sun willing to help. I worked at the “job” and it certainly was a warm one, for an hour or two, and then broken hearted, broken- no I promised at the beginning[sic] of this letter I would not speak of money-ep I did it any way. Please don't read the line that speaks of wealth galore, and I won't be breaking my promise.
     The “three little chickens” were enjoying a snow fight when I left home this morning, and it was a lovly[sic] sight. The neighbors for blocks around were[sic] hanging on the fence and cheering like indian braves.
     Clonnie needs a bath, but what's the use of washing him, he’ll only get dirty again, so I’ll put it off until you come home.
     [letter is missing sections] … I hope his business is successful and health is his. I will write him a letter sometime later.
     I think I'll quit college and go to work stu[missing parts – Jefferson writes “on the P.D." Likely the abreviation for the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch] I think I have an excellent opportunity now and had better “nab” it.
     I guess you don't think “Home with out Mother” isn't hard on a fellow I have all of it that I will stand for, and after you come home I'm going to think over a plan of how to spend my next trip in “Dear Parie.”
     When you come home you will find us, (Paddy and Jeffie) in the same old place, making some life happy. 

Your dear little SON, Jefferson [signed in pencil] 

     “Three little chickens:” this is obviously regarding children, but Jeff did not have his first child until 1909, so whose children he is discussing is unknown.
     "Clonnie" sounds like it may be a pet, perhaps a dog.
     "Dear Parie" sounds like a dream of Jeff's to visit Paris, France one day. He never made it there.
     "Paddy" may be Mary's second husband, John P. Little, whom she married in 1904. One photo identifies John as "Big pa."










Jefferson Randolph Smith III:
November 22, 2008

May 10, 2010
March 29, 2010
June 27, 2010
September 26, 2010
September 26, 2010 (2)
November 28, 2010
February 1, 2011
February 5, 2011
March 17, 2012
 

John P. Little: 
May 6, 2010
May 21, 2011
May 5, 2011










Jefferson Randolph Smith III: pages 7, 107-08, 167, 417-18, 546, 584, 587-89.

John P. Little: page 587.





"They gambled in the Garden of Eden, and they will again if there's another one."
— Richard Albert Canfield









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith