October 4, 2012

Jeff Smith's Parlor restoration: Bob Lyon, part 17

Skagway postcard

(Click image to enlarge)








or the past seven months we here on Soapy's soapbox have been very fortunate to have historian Bob Lyon contribute updates and photographs pertaining to the Jeff Smith's Parlor restoration project, and the Martin Itjen/George Rapuzzi collection. I am sad to report that we will likely soon lose his valuable peeks into the project, however, we are certainly glad to report that it is because Mr. Lyon is moving up the ladder in National Park Service ranks. We wish him all the best of luck in everything he does. In the mean time, here, in his own words, is the latest news.
Probably won't be anything new until spring. Though park maintenance is continuing to prepare the Parlor, I don't know what's happening with the exhibits. The plan was to put everything back where it was under Itjen and sort of a combination with Rapuzzi. But, the building will end up about 6-8 inches more narrow because of the framing to keep the place from falling down. That's a problem, but there really wasn't any other way to stabilize the building. Considering how many times it's been altered...first by Soapy, then moved and altered by the Fire Dept., then Itjen, then moved and renovated again by Rapuzzi...How much of the building fabric is original? Nobody really knows. Probably not a lot. But certainly some of it.
      I took photos for the exhibit designers a year and a half ago. I haven't kept up with how that planning is going. We'd love to get rid of that fence in front, but, damnation, it's historic to the Rapuzzi era. Taking it down would require all kinds of legalities. Could be done, eventually, I hope. I think once the building is done and open again, we'll take a look at that fence.
      I'm done here in a year, by the way. My position is a term job and it's over next August. ... Though I know everybody involved and can keep you updated somewhat. I'm moving into a different program next week. Have to say I'm kind of tired of Soapy and his blasted building! I'm kidding, but I won't have much to do with it this next year. The new program may send me to Skagway for other purposes, but we'll see. I'll be off to Denali, maybe Sitka, but I'll be dealing with historic buildings in all the parks in Alaska, instead of focusing on Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park.

Bob Lyon

Thank you Mr. Bob Lyon
for everything you have shared with us.











Jeff Smith's Parlor restoration

February 4, 2009 (Part 1)
February 19, 2009 (Part 2)  
March 31, 2010 (Part 3)  
August 7, 2010 (Part 4) 
February 11, 2011 (Part 5) 
April 5, 2011 (Part 6)
May 8, 2011 (Part 7)
May 17, 2011 (Part 8)
November 20, 2011 (Part 9)
March 21, 2012 (Part 10)
March 30, 2012 (Part 11)
June 20, 2012 (Part 12)
August 8, 2012 (Part 13)
August 29, 2012 (Part 14)
September 1, 2012 (Part 15)
September 26, 2012 (Part 16)







"When Soapy Smith owned the gamblers in Creede his cognomen was commonplace. Now since he has been chosen to lead the Denver redeemers they call him Sapolio de Smythe. Great it is to be a leader of the republican gang."
Alamosa Leader, circa 1890s





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith