|Above, inside Jeff Smith's Parlor, Doug Hulk shared his memories |
of his tour with George Rapuzzi, with Deb Boettcher, Museum
Technician and Tom Cummins, Exhibit Designer.
(photo: Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park)
The following is from The Skagway News, History Features, April 29, 2011.
Klondike Gold Rush NHP planning restoration
for Jeff. Smith’s Parlor Museum
This on-site visit to Skagway last month was important for the architects, engineers and designers to become familiar with the scope of the project and benefit from park staff expertise. This building was the headquarters of Skagway’s most infamous con man during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1897. Following Soapy’s death, it was used as the Hook & Ladder Truck and Hose shed and located on 6th Ave.
In 1935, Skagway resident and tourism promoter,Martin Itjen reopened it as Jeff. Smiths Parlor Museum, and it became a highlight of Itjen’s gold rush tours until his death in 1942.
George Rapuzzi, Itjen’s long time friend and a collector of gold rush memorabilia, took over the museum and moved the building to its current location. The community will be invited to a workshop this spring to share their personal memories from going on a tour with either Martin Itjen or George Rapuzzi.
Photographs are especially helpful since they show details that help maintain authentic treatment of the historic objects, their placement in the museum and the building itself.
If you have information to share about this building, please contact Park Historian, Karl Gurcke – KGRNHP
April 5, 2011
February 11, 2011
August 7, 2010