July 4, 2008

Engine #41: from Creede, Colo., to Knott's Berry Farm



 
I came across this old postcard on-line of Denver and Rio Grande engine #41. This engine shipped supplies and passengers to Creede, Colorado during the silver rush of 1892. It is probable that Soapy and the Soap Gang were passengers in cars pulled by this very engine. This postcard dates from the 1950s when the engine was purchased and put into use at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California. That old engine is still pulling park visitors around the park but it is only a matter of time before it is mothballed. Both my children have rode the train and I am trying to get special permission to get a private tour of the engine.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy viewing your pictures and reading the snippets of history posted with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know I've shared a ride on Soapy's D&RGW train. Your Knott's picture looks as it did when, as a kid in 1962, you could walk right into the Park for free and put a penny on the tracks so #41 and her sister loco's could flatten them for you.
    Great website folks. Keep it up! I carry no cash so keep your hands to yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith