May 21, 2011

Identifying members of the family in a photograph

(Click image to enlarge)



Now this is what I'm talking about. My family, coming through.

On September 4, 2010 I had posted the above photograph from the Mike Moriarty collection. At that time I only could positively recognize Mary Eva (Smith) Little, the widow of Soapy Smith, and her second husband, John P. Little. I asked family members for help in identifying the other eight people in the photo.

A few days later family member, Nancy Moriarty, emailed me and on September 10, 2010 I was able to post additional names to the photograph. Those of Mary Eva (Smith) Moriarty (Soapy and Mary's daughter) and her husband, Michael H. "Maurice" Moriarty. Nancy guessed correctly that the children were no doubt those of Michael and Mary's but would not guess.

Today's post is based on information received from family member, Katie Rowe. Katie write,

Hey Jeff this is Katie Rowe your somewhat removed cousin. I can clear up the identities of the children for you. The boy is Maurice Gregory eldest child of Mary Eva and Michael, he passed just two weeks ago. Daughter is child number two Geraldine, she took vows and became a nun, she also had very lg thin feet a trait my sister inherited. The baby in white is my grandfather John Jefferson Moriarty. I have baby pics of him and swear I saw this or a similar one growing up. My grandfather papa John saw his fourth generation born, could I get a copy of this? Together this would give me two photos holding six generations for my son with papa as the over lap. He looks about the age my son was when I got the four generations.

... For further verification the infant is clearly under a year and the photo us dated April 1921. My papa john Jefferson was born June 1920 and was the third child and second boy.

Thank you Nancy and Katie!


Please note: The little boy, Maurice Gregory Moriarty if the family member gentleman who recently passed on.



Jeff Smith









.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith