February 28, 2011

How the Tivoli Club got its name.

(Click image to enlarge)


IAlias Soapy Smith, I discuss different theories as to how Soapy came to name his first saloon, the Tivoli Club. In once again researching Denver's newspapers I found the following


William Deutsch is proprietor of the Tivoli variety theatre in Pueblo. It was reported burglarized on march 6, 1883. $100 in silver and two pistols.  -Rocky Mountain News, March 6, 1883.


Deutsch obtained the property and constructed the building that would house Soapy's saloon and gaming den on August 12, 1886. The Tivoli Club opened its doors in 1888. I think Deutsch may have suggested the name "Tivoli" to Soapy.











Tivoli name: page 124.











.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith