December 5, 2010

New replica of Jeff Smith's Parlor, part II

(Click image to enlarge)
Measurements of Jeff Smith's Parlor as it stands today. 
Courtesy of Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park

Please see part I,

In between construction I have the job of trying to find out the color scheme of the front of the original building which housed Jeff Smith's Parlor in 1898. My first set of questions went to my inside man at the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park in Skagway, Alaska. His reply went as follows.

Regarding the paint color for the Parlor, we are a little too early in the stage for that. What you need to do is to contact someone who is really knowledgeable about how paint color translates to shades of black and white in 19th Century black and white prints. There was a series of lectures about just that down in Juneau last year. I wish I could have attended as then I could send you some of the hand outs (if there were any). Anyway, they need to look closely at the historic photographs of the Parlor. Remember Martin Itjen completely reconstructed the front of the building in the late 1930s after the fire department had completely altered the front back in 1900. That's why the current front is different from the front seen in the historic photographs. I don't think anything of the original front has remained. While I may be wrong, any paint color we get off of the current front will probably date from the late 1930s to the recent past.

Here is where I and "Wolfgang" need your help.

We need to find an expert who is "knowledgeable about how paint color translates to shades of black and white in 19th Century black and white prints." Does anyone out there know where we might find someone like this?



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith