September 16, 2010

Photograph: Creede, Colorado business district 1892

(Click image to enlarge)

One of my long time collector friends, Jerry H., sent in the above cabinet card of lower Creede showing the main business district. I never get tired of looking at this photo and others like it. The business district was a 24-hour carnival for some four months before fire ended the day-and-night festivities. Because of its short existence there is limited knowledge of the businesses there. The verbal and written accounts of the goings-on in the camp show the wild and woolly side of the saloons and gambling halls. If there were three towns I could go back in time and visit, Creede would be one of them!











.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith