August 11, 2011

New Soapy Smith photograph discovery.

(Click image to enlarge)



My friend and source at the Skagway unit of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park (National Park Service) has given me the green light to publish the newest photograph of Soapy Smith recently discovered that was taken by E.J. Hamacher during the July 4, 1898 parade.

There is absolutely no doubt that this is Soapy. It matches the other photographs of him in the July 4 parade. That horse is Soapy's. He's wearing the same large badge and the white ascot with crossed American and Cuban flags can be seen in the close up photograph below.







AUGUST 11
1896: George Carmack discovers gold in the Yukon starting the Klondike gold rush.

Jeff Smith









.

3 comments:

  1. This is a terrific find Jeff! Thank you for sharing it with us!
    This photographer is also known to me. He did a lot of work in Washington around Ellensburg and North Yakima before heading up to AK.
    Thanks again!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you know Creede history you know about the Soward Ranch. Jackson Soward was my great great Grandfather. He purchased the Antelope Springs Stage Station and Halfway House from the Aldens. Are you related to them, Leah?
    I just got off the phone with Margaret Lamb, who is the matriarch of the Soward Ranch. Wonderful stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,
    I wish I knew. I know very little about my fathers family. It would be facinating to find out.
    I would also love to hear some of the stories that Margaret Lamb shared with you!

    Best,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith