April 19, 2011

New photo of Jeff Smith's Parlor found.

(Click image to enlarge)


I discovered a new photograph of Jeff Smith's Parlor in the Alaska State Library that I have never seen previously. State libraries do add to their collection when new items are found. I'm still awaiting permission to use a newly discovered photograph of Soapy as well, but in the mean time let's take a closer look at this one.

(Click image to enlarge)

Dating photographs of Jeff Smith's Parlor is aided by the outside decor. In May and July 1898 Soapy changed the red, white, and blue bunting hung on the front facade which makes dating somewhat precise as to month. However, this photo has no bunting, only two small US flags poled on each side of the building about midway down the height. Those two flags are up in every photograph I have seen of the Parlor so they are of little help in this case.

There's no snow or frost on the ground, and it's not all mucked up, so it must be Spring/Summer, fairly early in the day--only a dog (I think) is in the street, and a few people out, men and one nicely dressed lady. At present I would venture to guess that the photograph was taken sometime between early May and the end of June 1898.




Jeff Smith









.

4 comments:

  1. Friend Jeff: Thank-you for posting these photos. Previously [from the more common photos of the Parlor],I had the impression that Jeff Smith's Parlor was in a more open area.
    Now looking at it's place in a steet scene....I can see how mistaken I was.
    Just goes to show how 'tight' photography [of the day] can give an erroneous impression.

    These 'wider' photos really show that the Parlor was part of a fairly typical Old West street. Very interesting. Now I have a better feeling of the atmosphere of Skaguay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, Rich. In the early days of Skaguay, Holly Street (now named 6th) was considered the main business street, perhaps because of all the saloons, restaurants and theaters. Oh, to be able to go back in time for a day...I'd spend 90% of it on this street!

    Jeff Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Oh how I would love to 'saloon hop' on Holly St. <(*J*)>

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...even better if you could somehow bring a modern camera with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith