I have a link at the top of the page, What actor should play Soapy? Earlier this week I received an email from Ashley Bowman of Skagway, Alaska who suggested Jim Richards, owner and retired actor who played Soapy for literally decades. I thought it was a great choice and posted it with the rest of the choices sent in. Ashley knows Jim as I do so we began emailing back and forth. The I received this one from her.
This question of who would play Soapy has started quite a few hot debates here-- my friends and I have been surveying the town and gotten a lot of great responses. Thanks for the conversation starter!
That peaked my interest and curiosity so I asked her for more details. Here is what she has sent thus far.
Well here's a few of the responses from myself and the women I work with-- important to note these are all coming from women because naturally we picked all the hottest actors--
- Hugh Jackman (Wolverine meets Kate and Leopold)
- Christian Bale (if only he didn't have such a baby face)
- Viggo Mortenson (ok, maybe, maybe not)
A few others that came up later at the Elks:
- Daniel Day-Lewis (pretty perfect, I think, in light of There Will Be Blood)
- Sam Elliott (also a good one)
- Val Kilmer (I don't see it)
- Tom Hanks (ala Road to Perdition?)
If I get any more I'll let you know :) As soon as I read "Paul Newman" I thought right away that a young Paul Newman or a young Robert Redford (with dark hair) would be a great Soapy. For that matter maybe Bogey as well... now my mind is entirely taken up with thoughts of Hollywood Soapys.
Thank you so much Ashley!