(Click image to enlarge)
Final Resting place of "Texas Jack" Vermillion?
"Texas Jack" Vermillion, member of the Wyatt Earp vendetta - Tombstone, Arizona fame had a stint as a member of Soapy Smith's "Soap Gang" as a booster and shill in 1889.
According to popular history he was born John Wilson Vermillion of Virginia and although newspapers in Denver mention his name as "John" this information may be incorrect. Very little is actually known about this interesting gun man of the 1880s and much of what is supposed about him has little provenance.
- 1882 - Member of Wyatt Earp's murderous vendetta ride.
- 1883 - Member of the Dodge Peace Commission.
- 1889 - Involved with the Soap Gang in election fraud
- 1889 - Arrested for steering to one of Soapy's famed auction houses.
- 1889 - Participant with Soapy in the Pocatello Depot shootout.
Vermillion's life and death continues to be shrouded in mystery and rumor.
Source: The above photograph was found on Waymarking.com
"Shoot-Your-Eye-Out Jack" Vermillion: pages 75, 88, 91-92, 162-63, 165, 170, 175.